Ancient practices can help reenergize our homes and workspaces, transforming them into places of rejuvenation and nourishment.
Since ancient times, people have used various forms of energetic space clearing to remove residual stagnant energies which can build up in living, working, and other spaces. While our homes and offices can provide a wonderful respite in which we can live, play, create, and rest, it is important to occasionally take time to revitalize rooms by clearing out the “stuck” energies that accumulate.
In the interconnected web of life, our energies have frequencies, and the patterns of these energies remain in the areas we touch. Most religious traditions have a method for consecrating sacred space, removing negative energies so that visitors are more likely to connect with divinity, rather than the energies of other patrons. We can utilize these same practices to uplift our homes and workspaces, so that they are a continuing source of rejuvenating, uplifting and nourishing support to us.
Historically, Native Americans have used drums, rattles and the burning of herbs to clear negative energies. In the Middle East resins are used, such as the burning of frankincense and myrrh. The Balinese are known for using bells to clear and heighten energies. While in China, the use of gongs, chanting and incense are frequently used. Energetic space clearing has a long, ancient history.
When do we energetically clear space?
- New home or new office: Make a fresh start in your new space by consciously removing out stagnant energies lingering from past residents.
- Remodeling or constructing: Neutralize the energies which probably arrived with the new additions to the home or office, and which may have entered the space with the individuals who assisted with the changes being made.
- Challenges: If there has been illness, divorce, death or other stressful situations, there is likely a need for conscious clearing and revitalizing.
- Seasons: It is wonderful to do this as the season’s change. I am particularly fond of doing clearing rituals in spring and fall.
- Deep cleaning: I wrote about deep cleaning earlier, and perhaps you went through and got rid of all of the extra stuff in your home and/or office. Now you can complete the process by clearing out old energies, too!
- Celebrations: Welcome the new baby, new partnership or other celebratory moment by first completing your own energetic clearing of the home or office.
- Shifting things: Are you feeling creatively blocked? Does the space just not feel right? Then, the removal of residual energy patterns should help shift things.
We can energetically space clear using…
- Intention: First, set an intention to remove undesired energies, and to bring in more loving, nurturing and harmonious energies into the space.
- Sound: Use of sound is an excellent way to energetically space clear. You can use bells, gongs, drums, rattles, chimes, crystal bowls, tuning forks, or vocal toning. I prefer the use of bells for this stage of clearing, and find it to be the most effective method to quickly dispel undesired energies.
- Smudging: The burning of herbs as a space clearing technique is an ancient and widely used practice. The Native American practice of smudging with sage is a favorite of mine. You can also use various bundled herbs (sweet grass, rosemary, cedar, pine, and juniper are common), incense, or a favorite resin. Be sure to catch falling ash in a dish, and extinguish properly after use.
- Air: Open all of the windows in your house and allow the air to move through the building, revitalizing the energies.
- Salt: A small amount of salt can be spread around the perimeters of the space being cleared, but it is important to vacuum it up within twenty-four hours. Another method is to place a bowl of salt in the center of the room to absorb energies. Again, this should be removed within a day. Make certain to use salt which has been securely stored prior to use, and to properly dispose of your salt by pouring it in a local river, lake or toilet. Never reuse this salt.
- Water: Sprinkling water as a purification technique is an old tradition. One may also wish to lightly sprinkle water infused with essential oils to sweeten the cleared space. Rosemary, lavender and citrus oils are lovely for this purpose.
Our spaces are there to nourish, protect, and provide respite for us along the journey. By consciously taking time to clear out the energies and imbibe our spaces with our own love, they can become even more nurturing and supportive.
By Antonia Hall
Photo: lylevincent via Flickr